Frequently Asked Questions About Headaches and Migraines
Headaches and migraines can both have a profoundly negative impact in your daily life, especially if you don't understand where they come from and what to do about them. Here are some frequently asked questions on the subject at our Queens NY chiropractic clinic, Dr. Lee's Spine Center.
- What is a tension headache? A tension headache gets its name from the fact that commonly starts with muscle tension. When muscles attached to sensitive membranes at the base of the skull tense up, they may tug on those membranes and create diffuse head pain.
- Why am I prone to tension headaches? You may be suffering from an upper cervical misalignment that causes the weight of your head to be slightly off-center. This may keep your neck and shoulder muscles in a chronic state of tension and spasm. Emotional stresses can also make these muscles clench up, triggering tension headaches.
- How are migraines different from tension headaches? Migraines are not only much more painful than tension headaches, but the pain tends to be accompanied by a variety of other debilitating symptoms as well.
- What are the classic migraine symptoms? Migraine symptoms sometimes start with odd visual symptoms called auras. A migraine itself may cause debilitating pain, nausea, vomiting, and light or sound hypersensitivity for up to 72 hours.
- Why do I get migraines? Migraines seem to be related to abnormal nerve signals that cause cranial blood vessel inflammation. Although stress can initiate both tension headaches and migraines, migraines can also be set off by triggers such as foods, medications, hormonal changes, weather changes, or even visual or aural stimuli.
- How does chiropractic care help tension headaches? Chiropractic adjustments correct an upper cervical misalignment that may be creating muscular strain in your neck or shoulders. Our Queens NY chiropractor can also prescribe other natural treatment methods such as massage therapy to ease the muscle spasms (and pent-up emotional stresses) that produce tension headaches.
- Can your Queens NY chiropractor treat my migraines? Chiropractic treatment can be very effective for migraines. One study indicates that chiropractic adjustments reduced migraine frequency by up to 90 percent, with nearly half of the participants experiencing less intense symptoms as well.
- How can your Queens NY chiropractor help me avoid future headaches and migraines? Regular spinal screenings, incremental upper cervical adjustments, periodic massage sessions and exercises to strengthen the neck muscles can all help you steer clear of tension headaches and migraines. We may also recommend lifestyle and dietary changes to help you avoid your specific migraine triggers.
Our Queens NY Chiropractor Can Help Solve Your Headache or Migraine Puzzle
Don't let your headache or migraine problem remain a painful mystery. Call Dr. Lee's Spine Center at (347) 960-7774 to schedule a consultation with our Queens NY chiropractor. We can help you solve your headache or migraine puzzle so you can regain your former quality of life!