Our Queens NY Chiropractic Center Answers Your Sciatica Questions
Here at Dr. Lee's Spine Center, we know how much discomfort and disability a bout of sciatica can cause -- and we also know what to do about it. If you're confused and frustrated by this nagging problem, here are some answers to frequently asked questions from our Queens NY chiropractic center:
- What exactly does "sciatica" refer to? The term "sciatica" refers to an irritation or inflammation of the sciatic nerve, most commonly due to nerve tissue being impinged (pinched) so it cannot function properly.
- What (and where) is the sciatic nerve? The sciatic nerve is the body's largest nerve. It is joined to the lower spine through several nerve roots and extends through the buttock and leg, branching out into the many smaller nerves that relay motor and sensory data to and from the brain.
- How does the sciatic nerve get pinched? One of the most common causes is pressure from a herniated or bulging disc. Other possible causes include spondylolisthesis (shifting of one vertebra over another), stenosis (narrowing of the canal that houses the spinal cord) pregnancy and muscle spasms in the buttock or hip area.
- What are the symptoms of sciatica? The primary symptom is sharp pain or an aching sensation running down the back of your leg. Sitting, coughing or sneezing can make the discomfort worse. You may also experience "pins and needles," loss of sensation or loss of muscle control in the leg or foot.
- Won't my sciatica go away on its own? Sciatica may seem to disappear after several uncomfortable weeks -- but don't expect it to stay away. Until the underlying cause of your sciatica is dealt with, the condition is likely to return again and again.
- Do I have to have surgery to treat the causes of sciatica? Most sciatica sufferers can get the relief they need through conservative care, which is why we always urge them to try non-surgical solutions first. Our Queens NY clinic can resolve sciatica through chiropractic care and other natural, non-invasive methods.
- How does chiropractic care treat sciatica? Chiropractic adjustment can correct alignment problems that limit the space around the sciatic nerve roots. Normalizing your alignment can also relieve the muscle strain that causes nerve-pinching spasms.
- What other treatments can my chiropractor offer? Your chiropractor at Dr. Lee's Spine Center (Dr. Lee or Dr. Adofoli) may prescribe spinal decompression for your sciatica. This table-based therapy gently creates a negative pressure within the spine to pull a herniated or bulging disc away from the affected sciatic nerve roots. You may also benefit from physical therapy to build the muscle in your back for better spinal support.
We Have the Answer to Your Sciatica Problem
The best answer we can give to your sciatica puzzle is safe, long-lasting relief from your symptoms. Call Dr. Lee's Spine Center at (347) 960-7774 to schedule an evaluation from either chiropractor on our Queens NY team!